Business Traveller Wellbeing: Healthy Tips for Business Travel
At Heliodoor Apartments, we understand that travelling for business can be both enjoyable and demanding. With packed schedules and constantly being on the go, it can be a lot! That’s why we are committed to making your stay as smooth as possible, so that when you do get some downtime, you can really take care of yourself in a way that suits you.
Your well-being is important to us. Finding a balance between work and wellness can sometimes be tricky, especially when you are not based in your own home. In this blog post we have put together a list of well-being tips, specifically for those travelling for work.
FOOD ON THE GO
Business travellers often face unique challenges when it comes to maintaining a healthy balanced diet. You may find yourself with limited options and the added time pressure makes eating well more difficult. There may be limited dining options depending on where you are staying, especially if you only have a few minutes to grab something to eat, which can often lead to fast food being your new default. ‘Tight schedules and back-to-back meetings can lead to rushed meals and a reliance on processed or convenience foods, or simply eating at a time that doesn’t suit.
It’s important to plan ahead when it comes to food when travelling, so here are our top tips:
- Forward planning – It’s easier than ever to look up a place you are visiting ahead of time. Take a few minutes to find out what restaurants are available, or what is on offer where you are staying. Most places have menus that you can download online ahead of time too.
- Snacks – Instead of relying on vending machines at the office, or overpriced coffee shops to keep you going, you could bring your own snacks or at least pack an ‘emergency’ snack to have on hand to prevent desperate purchases! Breakfast and protein bars are a great healthy option.
- Supermarkets – If you’re staying somewhere for any length of time, it is definitely worth checking out the local supermarkets and buying food in larger quantities to store in the fridge which will be good for your health and your wallet! We’re happy to provide you with information about local shops when you book a stay with us, just ask!
- Accommodation – Where you stay can have a big impact on how you eat. Hotels may have set dining times that can make it difficult if you have meetings at awkward times. All of our apartments have a fully equipped kitchen with a refrigerator, hob/stove, microwave and utensils, allowing you to prepare wholesome meals and snacks at your convenience.
Hydration – As well as a balanced diet, you’ll want to ensure you are staying well hydrated. As you go between meetings ensure you have a refillable water bottle with you at all times.
Regular physical activity is not just essential for your physical health; it also plays a crucial role in maintaining your mental well-being, especially whilst you are away from home and your usual go-to activities. You might find yourself sitting in a lot of meetings, or at a conference where there’s not a lot of opportunity to get up and move around, which makes it even more important to incorporate some form of exercise!
Here are some practical suggestions for staying active while away from home:
- Pack for it – This may sound obvious, but packing some workout clothes increases your chances of actually working out. Even if you only pack a comfortable pair of shoes so that you can go for a walk. You may even decide to walk to the office if that’s the only exercise you can fit in.
- Explore the area – This is a great way to get in some light exercise. Make the most of being somewhere different and explore what there is around you. You’ll find plenty to explore near our serviced apartments, including a great deal of parks in all our locations and we will be happy to share our favourite places with you.
- Bring your workouts with you – Keeping to your regular schedule whilst away can really help, so why continue with your regular home exercises? At Heliodoor Apartments we provide plenty of space for you to do just that.
ENJOY YOUR DOWNTIME
Travelling can feel lonely at times, especially if you do it a lot. You may find that you suddenly have more time on your hands – gaps between meetings, being closer to the office, and less responsibilities than you would at home, you might actually need to fill some time. Here are some tips on what you might do with that extra time:
- Cooking – If you have a family, or a busy lifestyle, cooking might actually be more of a chore than an enjoyable experience. But you could make the most of the time away and cook up some delicious meals without the rush (and perhaps the picky eaters!)
- Exercise – You can go on those walks we mentioned earlier, or go to the gym. Join a local fitness class or simply dance about the apartment if you like (we won’t tell anyone!)
- Hobbies – Now seems a really good time to pick up those hobbies you haven’t had time for! Whether it’s gaming, knitting, reading or wherever else takes your fancy, this is a great way to occupy your evenings and keep your mind active too.
- Stay Connected – It’s really important for your well-being that you stay connected and don’t isolate yourself too much. Just because you are in a different place, doesn’t mean you can’t spend time connecting with friends and family or even popping into the local coffee shop or pub – there’s always one nearby!
Taking care of your well-being whilst travelling for work is really important, and we hope you have found our tips both simple and helpful. A lot of the time, planning is key and so if you are due to stay with us and need to know any local information then please do not hesitate to ask, we’d love to make your stay as easy as we can and even offer some recommendations!
A HOME AWAY FROM HOME
Heliodoor Apartments offers all the comforts of home, ensuring that your business trip is not just about work but also about well-being. Our commitment to your health and happiness makes us the ideal choice for your next business travel experience.